Creativity is a central source of meaning in our lives---when we are involved in it, we feel that we are living more fully than during the rest of life.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Fall, apples and other reflections

The summer passed so quickly this year. I think because we traveled a lot and the kids had a lot of things going on the time just flew by and I didn't really have time to keep up with my poor little blog. I'm hoping I will be able to set aside more time this fall to keep it up to date so check back in the coming weeks to see if I'm here!

We have been having such gorgeous weather the past week that I'm finding it hard to believe it is the middle of September. If the kids weren't back in full swing at school I wouldn't believe that the official start of fall is just around the corner, as in next week! I know this lovely summery weather we've been having isn't going to stay around much longer. Next week the temperatures are predicted to be in the low to mid 60s instead of high 70s and low 80s we've been having. Despite the gorgeous, summery weather we are starting to see some peeks of color in the trees here and that inspires me to make cards with all of the pretty fall colors. The card I'm sharing here today is one of those cards.
The base of the card is Stampin' Up's new In Color Soft Suede and the designer paper is also from Stampin' Up. The dp pack is called Autumn Traditions. The two small layer pieces are SU Ruby Red and More Mustard. I stamped the image, which is from the Signs of Autumn set by Gina K Designs on Gina K Designs Pure Luxury Ivory layering weight paper using Memento Rich Cocoa. I colored the basket and the apples with Koh-i-noor pencils and OMS. It had been a while since I pulled those out and I realized how much I like using the pencils and OMS. They were perfect for getting the look I wanted on the basket and apples. I'm such a coloring addict! Must be all the coloring I did as a child that comes out when I pick up colored pencils, markers, crayons, etc. The ribbon is actually purple, although for some reason it didn't show up as purple very well in the photo. I punched an oval of soft suede and folded it over and put the button on top just for a fun little embellishment. I punched a large oval from soft suede and a small oval from Pure Luxury Soft Sand and stamped the greeting in Rich Cocoa on it. The ovals are adhered to the card with some pretty copper brads from the Stamp TV kit. To put some final polish on the card I used some crystal lacquer on the apples to give them that just shined up, ready to eat look.

A fairly straight forward card to put together but I think it is one of my favorites of the cards I've made recently. The fall colors and the bright, shiny apples just make me feel good.

I hope you are enjoying the fall colors, either in nature where you live or in your card making and you are finding yourself ready for the shiny new apples and orange pumpkins! Thanks for stopping by today. Have a happy day!

No comments: